gnome-mount using ntfs-3g

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Jun 6 22:44:54 UTC 2009

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:38:59 -0400
>
> On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 16:10 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Date:   Thu, 04 Jun 2009 22:20:38 +0400
> > > From:   "R.Mahmatkhanov" <cvs-src at yandex.ru>

> > > Try to play with GConf editor. See that tree:
> > > /system/storage/default_options/ntfs-3g, and ``mount_options'' key value.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. I tried changing the option to '-o umask=0'
> > and simply deleting it, but I still can't seem to get it to mount. I
> > should mention that I soft-link mount_ntfs to ntfs-3g, so the option
> > that was biting me was under /system/storage/default_options/ntfs.
> >
> > Is there a way to get gnome-mount to use ntfs-3g directly? I assume that
> > there is since there is a gconf entry for it.
>
> See http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q5 .

This almost worked. The only problem is that /usr/local/bin is not in
the path as boot time, so that the fixed NTFS slice on my system disk
failed to mount. I suggest modifying the text in the file to put the
full path to the executable for the mount.
FUSE_HELPER="/usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g"

Other than this minor tweak, things are working fine for me on that
front.

Thanks so much for the pointer.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer