Problems with HAL, gnome-mount and removable ATA GELI disk

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Jan 17 23:15:16 PST 2009

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:28:22 -0500
>
> On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 20:23 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I have a problem with hald and a removable ATA disk. This is complicated
> > because the fact that the partition is geli encrypted.
> >
> > I think one issue is that this is not treated as removable. Is the any
> > way to make hald treat an ATA disk as removable?
>
> The device's ata_params struct support command1 should indicate that the
> device is removable.  I'm not sure how else to tell a device is
> removable.

OK. I'm out of my depth. I've looked at ata-all.h and did not see what
might be involved. Guess I just need to set hal to mount fixed disks,
too. Last time I tried this I hit some annoying side effects, but I can
work around those.

> > But there may be another issue as lshal does not even show the
> > partition. It does see the drive, /dev/ad2, the slice, /dev/ad2a1, and
> > the encrypted partition, /dev/ad2a1d, but not the decrypted partition,
> > /dev/ad2s1d.eli. I assume it should show up.
> >
> > I have other disks (USB) where the slice is encrypted and it works just
> > fine (/dev/da0s1.elid), so maybe it's the fixed disk issue.
> >

> Have you defined any hal FDI files that might be ignoring this device?
> I don't see where else it would be ignored.

Ack! I'd forgotten about an old FDI file. That takes care of that
one. Thanks.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)