Issues with 2.24 upgrade

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Jan 11 13:19:29 PST 2009

I have upgraded two systems following the instructions in UPDATING and
have some issues. I'm not too sure of the significance, but I want ed
report them.

One system is new (as of Dec. 20) with gnome2, gnome2-office,
gnome2-powertools and gnome2-fifth-toe installed from ports.

First, when I ran 'pkgdb -Ff', I got:
Duplicated origin: x11-toolkits/gtk20 - gail-1.22.3 gtk-2.14.7
Unregister any of them? [no]

I had no idea which, if either to unregister. Similar message on
fast-user-switch-applet-2.22.0_3 and gdm. I did not unregister any of
them and proceeded to deinstall gtkmm and run the big portupgrade.

At the end of the upgrade, I got the following messages:
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
 * x11-toolkits/gtk20 (gail-1.22.3)
 * x11/gdm (fast-user-switch-applet-2.22.0_3)
 ! x11/gnome2 (gnome2-2.22.3_1) (install error)

I ran pkgdb -Ff again and then I unregistered gail. Most (all?) gnome
ports had the dependency corrected. I think that this was not a problem,
but it was something I was unsure of.

I then re-installed gnome2 and all appeared to be OK. I finally did
'portupgrade gnome-session'. This was a no-op and gnome-session had
already been upgraded, so I did 'portupgrade -f gnome-session'. If this
was what was expected, I think UPDATING should be updated to reflect
this as well as the issue of the pkgdb run.

Neither system is local to me ATM, so I have not confirmed whether Gnome
2.24 is working OK. I'll do that tomorrow.

As always, thanks to the Gnome team for the great work!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)