switching to sawfish with ports from yesterday.

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Fri Feb 27 10:49:49 PST 2009

I've been using sawfish for a long time, the trick for enabling seems
to keep changing over the years.

I have a -STABLE system running in a VMware virtual machine with a
ports tree that was portsnap'ed within the past couple of days.  I've
installed the gnome2 metaport.

On the advice of the FreeBSD Gnome FAQ, I've killed metacity and
started sawfish (so far so good), then done gnome-session-save --gui
which cases a number of messages like this:

  Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

but I don't get any dialog boxes w/ errors.

After exiting and restarting gnome I still end up running metacity.

I'm starting gnome from the console using startx and a .xinitrc that's
just

   exec gnome-session

Is there a better (functional) way to get it to remember the change?

Thanks!

g.