Trying to get the gdm started

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Feb 27 08:10:44 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 19:29 +0530, Ganesh Hegde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would have preferred to title this post with "My adventures with gdm". But
> the subject line of this email will be useful for someone searching for
> help. Gnome is a good desktop.
>
> Well, I am not putting before you folk any kind of problem here. I am giving
> a solution that I discovered for the problem of trying to start gdm on my
> computer. First a little introduction. Recently I downloaded the disc 1 of
> the i386 7.0 Release version of freebsd. Then I installed the minimal
> distribution from this disc. My goal was to have a good desktop so I decided
> to go for gnome. But, I read in the freebsd handbook that to run gnome, I
> needed to install X.org system; so I installed the X.org application that
> came with this disc. Then I installed gnome-lite using
>
> pkg_add -r gnome-lite

gnome2-lite does not include gdm.  If you wanted the full GNOME
distribution, you need to install gnome2.  The gnome2-lite meta-port
came about due to size constraints on the package CD.  Some people
prefer it, though, since they only want a taste of GNOME without all of
the weight of the full Desktop.

Joe