[FreeBSD port]: devel/glib20

Andrew W. Nosenko andrew.w.nosenko at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 02:34:14 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Stanislav Sedov <stas at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:53:16 +0200
> "Andrew W. Nosenko" <andrew.w.nosenko at gmail.com> mentioned:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Stanislav Sedov <stas at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:50:15 -0500
>> > Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> mentioned:

>> > Doesn't running gtk/glib (e.g. sylpheed, gimp) apps with non-UTF locale
>> > break filenames for you? From looking into the code it's always the case
>> > for non-UTF locales (well, if you running ISO8859-1 you shouldn't have
>> > problems too). On the other hand enabling LANG-based locale detection should
>> > not hurt prefromance much (I think the overhead of parsing LANG is neglible).
>> > Sure, we can OPTIONfy this, but I belive the options should be enabled by
>> > default in this case (otherwise, people will continue to step onto this
>> > bug). Major Linux distributions also have this option turned on by default
>> > to match the behavior of older version of glib where the locale detection
>> > code was always enabled.
>> >

>> Why you want to patch Glib for turn this behavior on by default
>> instead of just install file in the /usr/local/etc/profile.d ?
>>
>> profile.d approrach is reversible (I can unset enviroment variable),
>> while patching Glib for remove patch ...  slightly ugly at least,
>> IMHO.
>>

> Hmm, I didn't knew about this possible way. What kind of file should
> be installed here? Is it something specific to glib?

No.  It just collection of files that included by the '.' (dot)
command of shell into .profile execution chain.  Something like

    $ echo 'G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=yes' > /usr/local/etc/profile.d/glib20.sh
    $ chmod +x /usr/local/etc/profile.d/glib20.sh

But I personally would to prefer UTF-8 filenames even when under
koi8-u locale, because it gives highly better interoperability between
desktops (GOME/KDE/XFCE) and users (some uses German at all just for
don't forget this language).

My personal vote: leave Glib as it is.  Everything what you want may
be ahieved just by tuning environment variables.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew.w.nosenko at gmail.com>