Fresh install of gnome 2.24 & FreeBSD 7.1 woes (logout crashes, `failed to restart'...)...

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Feb 15 22:05:02 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 12:30 -0500, Jeffrey Racine wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I recently posted that I was having issues on a Dell Optiplex SX280
> after upgrading that had no problems with gnome 2.22 running FreeBSD
> 7.0. However, my upgrade to 2.24 did not go smoothly. I could not log
> out of a gnome session and trying `reboot' as root crashed the system.
>
> Prior to the upgrade system had been up for months with zero issues.
> But, I thought perhaps it was the fact that this system has been
> upgraded many times so perhaps things were getting linked to old libs.
> Hence, on Friday I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 7.1 from a CD and
> complete compile of gnome 2.4 from scratch. Yes, I have dbus_enable
> and hald_enable in rc.conf and gnome_enable.
>
> There appear to be some serious issues that others have recently
> noted. I don't know if it is xorg 7.4, gnome 2.24, or FreeBSD 7.1. Any
> suggestions as to what to try would be most welcome. Here are the
> symptoms, and many thanks for any suggestions.
>
> 1) With gnome_enable, I cannot restart or stop the computer from the
> gdm login screen - I get a `failed to...' message.
>
> 2) If I remove gnome_enable from rc.conf but leave hald_enable and
> gdm_enable set, then log in as a regular user, when I logout the
> system crashes cold
>
> Note - these are exactly the symptoms I was having when I upgraded the
> system prior to the fresh install. Any suggestions as to how to
> proceed to diagnose the issue would be most welcome.

Restart and shutdown require one to be active on the console.  They also
require procfs to be mounted on /proc.  If this is not done, those
functions will certainly fail.

As for the logout crash, nothing in GNOME should be crashing the system
(except maybe fusefs).  Try rebuilding fusefs-kmod (if you have it
loaded).  If that doesn't work, you'll need to get a backtrace of the
kernel panic.  This may require you to setup a serial console.