Cannot umount ntfs-3g without root prvilege.

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 10 10:17:52 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 17:06 +0800, Eric L. Chen wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 13:50 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > Eric L. Chen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I followed http://www.freebsd.org/gnome, try to mount usb disk (ntfs
> > > formatted).
> > > It can be mounted, but cannot umount.
> > > We need ntfs usb disk for large file, since fat cannot support file
> > that
> > > greater than 2GiB.
> > > BTW, I am using ntfs-3g for NTFS read/write support.
> >
> > Have you followed the instructions in
> > /usr/local/share/docs/hal-0.5.11/README.fuse?
> >
> > Joe
> >
> Yes, I tried using /usr/local/share/hal/mount-fuse .
> # mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig
> # cp /usr/local/share/hal/mount-fuse /sbin/mount_ntfs
> # cp /usr/local/share/hal/mount-fuse /sbin/mount_ntfs-3g
> but results the same problem. same as:
> # ln -sf /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/sbin/mount_ntfs-3g

Kris Moore built this script, and I added the necessary hal hooks.  I
tested it on his system as I don't have a any NTFS volumes.  The script
creates a map file in /tmp which maps kernel mounts to fuse mounts.  If
this is not happening, then that would explain why you're unable to
mount the volumes.

You should also make sure you've adjusted the GConf key for using
ntfs-3g instead of ntfs within GNOME.  Beyond that, hopefully someone
who is successfully using hal and fuse can help you.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome