Updating gnome

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Dec 4 19:08:54 UTC 2009

> From: Stevan Tiefert <stevan-tiefert at kabelmail.de>
> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:16:05 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> Hello list,
>
> why should I do 'portupgrade -a' to update gnome? Why 'portupgrade -R
> gnome2' is not right? I think it should be enough to update every port
> which the meta-port gnome2 is pointing, isn't it?

There are a number of gnome ports not covered by gnome2. They may be
covered by other meta-ports (e.g. gnome2-power-tools, gnome2-office) or
may be ports not part of any meta-port but still using gnome libraries
and working with the Gnome environment. 'portupgrade -R gnome2' will
miss these and this can lead to a variety of odd behaviors.

If there are specific ports you don't want upgraded use the '-x' option
or put them in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. Your life will be much
simpler down the road.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)