ports/137368: x11-toolkits/libwnck: add menu option to configure dependence on x11/startup-notification

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 19:40:03 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR ports/137368; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania at gmail.com>
To: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>
Cc: gnome at freebsd.org, bug-followup at freebsd.org,
	Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: ports/137368: x11-toolkits/libwnck: add menu option to configure
	dependence on x11/startup-notification
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 16:32:09 -0300

 On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Jeremy Messenger<mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
 > On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 13:34:33 -0500, Carlos A. M. dos Santos
 > <unixmania at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 >> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke<marcus at freebsd.org>
 >> wrote:
 >>
 >>> libgnomeui doesn't make this optional.  I can understand removing the
 >>> Python dependency, but startup-notification is quite light, and not
 >>> updated very frequently.  I just don't see how this adds much bulk.
 >>
 >> You don't need libgnomeui to run Xfce, so startup notification can be
 >> made optional for those who don't need/want to run GNOME. It is
 >> already intended to be optional in x11/Terminal, the default Xfce
 >> terminal emulator (and will *really* become optional, as soon as the
 >> patch I sent in ports/137371 gets committed).
 >
 > I agree with marcus, the startup-notification is very small.

 Yes, it is, but the packages it depends-on are not that small. And
 please keep in mind that I'm not proposing to remove the dependence on
 startup-notification. I just want to make it optional, and enabled by
 default. Those who want to turn it off will have that choice.

 > What make you
 > think that startup-notification is a GNOME application? It is a fd.org
 > application.

 I did not say that startup-notification is a GNOME application. I was
 referring to  libgnomeui.

 --
 My preferred quotation of Robert Louis Stevenson is "You cannot
 make an omelette without breaking eggs". Not because I like the