ports/133794: x11/gnome2: No go with automatic proxy configuration

Andreas Wetzel mickey242 at gmx.net
Sun Apr 26 20:07:26 UTC 2009

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 14:40 +0000, Andreas Wetzel wrote:
>> The following reply was made to PR ports/133794; it has been noted by GNATS.
>>
>> From: Andreas Wetzel <mickey242 at gmx.net>
>> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, mickey242 at gmx.net
>> Subject: Re: ports/133794: x11/gnome2: No go with automatic proxy configuration
>> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:38:49 +0200
>>
>>  The output is always the same for all three scenarios: direct connection,
>>  manual proxy configuration, auto proxy configuration:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org
>>  *** Unable to locate valid config! Falling back to auto-detection...
>>  *** PAC found, but no active PAC runner! Falling back to direct...
>>  direct://
>>

>>  The PAC file looks like this, and is served as content-type
>>  'application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig':
>>
>>  function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
>>  {
>>           if(isPlainHostName(host) || dnsDomainIs(host, ".mydomain.tld"))
>>                   return "DIRECT";
>>
>>           return  "PROXY 10.1.1.1:3128; DIRECT";
>>  }
>
> Looks like you need to install one of libproxy-mozjs or libproxy-webkit
> to get a PAC runner (i.e. a JavaScript engine).  Try installing one of
> those, and see if you can use the PAC.

I have now installed libproxy-webkit, which seems to do the job:

http://www.freebsd.org
http://10.6.6.1:3128 direct://

Well, despite the fact, that proxy still dumps core, when i press ^D

libproxy-mozjs wants to install firefox2, which i was finally glad to get rid
of after all, so thanks, but no thanks :)

Maybe it is interesting, that there has been a change between Gnome 2.26.0 and
Gnome 2.26.1. With 2.26.0 and automatic proxy configuration enabled, the
weather applet was not able to retrieve data at all. With 2.26.1 it was.
Though i could not tell, whether it would have used the proxy, either
voluntarily or involuntarily.

--
Keep it icy man.
I don't want to end up a corpse before my time because you were daydreaming.