dbus, hal over xdmcp?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Apr 24 11:44:35 UTC 2009

I've read the dbus and hald man pages but I'm still confused.

In a configuration where xserver connects to clients via XDMCP
where do I need to run dbus and hald, or more specifically, on what
computer do I need to have in /etc/rc.conf these two lines:

dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

a. only on the machine which runs xserver?
b. only on the machine which runs the clients?
c. on both the xserver and clients machines?

I've tried various configurations, but cannot still cannot
get a web browser to run, only endless dbus-launch and dbus-daemon
processes.

I've looked at man pages for dbus-launch(1), dbus-daemon(1), hald(8),
and at freedesktop.org/software/dbus, but cannot find the answer.

Please advise.

many thanks
anton