How to exclude directories from gamin?

barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Wed Apr 15 17:24:08 UTC 2009

> Gamin grabs onto any mounts, which interferes with my tinderbox and
> jail work (I can't restart or remount them without leaving Gnome).
> Anyone know how to get gamin to ignore or exclude certain paths?
> There appears to be code to do this, but I can't find a FAQ or any
> documentation.
>
> - Mike H

I've noticed that too, and it's very annoying.
Gamin is too aggressive and now I have to do something like:
    pkill -9 gam_server && umount /$MOUNT_POINT
every time I want to umount any kind of device.
And, for example, the eject feature isn't working anymore.

I really hope that it's something that could be fixed (or that I'm missing something).

In the meanwhile, as soon as I have enough time, I'll test this:
http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/config.html

But, again, I think that it will be a pita having to do this for every new istallation, just like creating the xml configuration for the keyboard layout now that xorg depends on hal.

Regards
Barbara