Suggest: gdm_lang flag for gdm startup language

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Apr 15 02:36:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:35:58 -0500, Daichi GOTO <daichi at freebsd.org> wrote:

> After adding procfs entry to fstab, gdm has got to
> started reading user home's .dmrc file, e.g., like
> follow:
>
> ----
> [Desktop]
> Language=ja_JP.UTF-8
> Layout=us
> ----
>
> So I have no big annoying matter to check out
> Language every login time or adding default
> Language configuration to system config files.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> p.s.
> But if you have interested in to add
> gdm_lang="ja_JP.UTF-8" to /etc/rc.conf, I guess
> it's still good idea because gdm changes their
> face to use that language.
>
> I want to know opinions of other gnome folks.
> How about of this idea? > eveyone
> If no objections, I want to add change to RCng
> startup script.

No need to. I have checked in GDM 2.26.0 tarball to make sure if it's
still there before I reply. It looks like you still can setup GDM_LANG in
/etc/profile or ~/.profile instead of LANG.

Why I said, 'no need to'? Because it's pointless to make gdm has too many
different places to configure for a same thing.

> Marcin Wisnicki wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:24:55 +0900, Daichi GOTO wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I know /etc/profile method, and I do not recognize that is good
>>> idea for this issue. In fact, that is very bad idea I guess. We should
>>> prevent /etc/profile method ASAP.
>>>
>>> Reasons:
>>>
>>>    1. /etc/profile affects others than gdm. FreeBSD console
>>>       does not support non-English displaying. And some applications
>>>       cannot been built without LANG=C. So, to set LANG=??? (e.g.
>>>       ja-JP.UTF-8) on /etc/profile is very bad idea. The /etc/profile
>>>       method affects to many phenomena.
>>>
>>  Some systems have /etc/xprofile for X. It even worked on FreeBSD
>> before gnome-2.12.
>>
>>>    2. I suggest controlling application behavior installed
>>>       by Ports Collection in /etc/rc.conf is clear and simple way.
>>>       Should we (especially for non-English user) edit /etc/rc.conf and
>>>       /etc/profile every time updated relative components?  It is
>>>       bothering matter.
>>>
>>  Gdm startup script in $prefix/sbin/gdm sources /etc/sysconfig/language
>> which seems to be the Linux way.
>>    desktop# cat /etc/sysconfig/language
>>   echo pl_PL.UTF-8
>>  Though having it configurable from rc.conf makes sense to me.
>>
>>> I'm thinking adding gdm_lang="ja_JP.UTF-8" to /etc/rc.conf is very
>>> clear
>>> and easy understanding for common user of Gnome. How do you make of
>>> it??

FreeBSD GNOME Team