HEADS UP: GNOME 2.26 available for FreeBSD

Marcin Wisnicki mwisnicki+freebsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 13:35:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 04:51:07 +0200, Michal Varga wrote:

> "Before the upgrade, I had once pop-up asking for my key passphrase,
> then let me use this private key during my (home) session without
> further asking.. Now, when I try to connect to the host which even
> possibly want to check whether I want to present some key there, I got
> the pop-up. I even checked that I can connect to the host in question
> using plain xterm, and have usual password qiery."
>
> I've been in similiar situation some time ago, when new
> gnome-keyring/seahorse (it started with one of the recent versions,
> don't remember exactly when, but definitely before 2.26 was introduced)

I guess this would be the culprit:
  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200807272018.m6RKIsiM061119
  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200807272023.m6RKNQqA061740
  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200807272021.m6RKLKTU061462

It was supposed to add automatic keyring unlocking using PAM as explained
on http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/Pam (except automatic password
update - you have to manually patch /etc/pam.d/passwd)

It works for me ;-)

In any case there is an option named KEYRING that controlls this
behaviour.

> for some surely interesting reason insisted on creating a very own
> keyring every other reboot - while originally you were using one default
> keyring (let's call it "default") for storing your passwords, now
> gnome-keyring kept creating a new one named "login" and always set it as
> the default one.
>
> That "login" keyring was even more special in that that nothing stored
> in it ever worked, it still kept asking for passwords and even then was
> not able to use them (and lost them on the next reboot anyway.. Maybe
> that's a feature, don't know, don't care). I've run into this on a few

The "login" keyring is unlocked on logon through PAM and stores passwords
for other keyrings (see above link). But "default" should remain default
- at least it does for me.