USE_BDB=41 and evolution / evolution-exchange

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri May 9 19:46:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 23:42 -0700, Ade Lovett wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there any particular reason both evolution and evolution-exchange
> hard code the berkeleydb version to 41?
>
> I've been running it with 4.4 for quite some time now with no ill
> effects, so perhaps changing:
>
> 	USE_BDB_VER= 41

> 	USE_BDB_VER= 41+
>
> in the respective Makefiles is in order?

There is an issue about compatibility.  That is, if one starts using
4.1, then moves to 4.4, the underlying database may not work properly as
no conversion steps are taken.  Historically, e-d-s always used 3.x (and
internal copy).  But we found we could move to 4.1, and link
dynamically.  If we were to relax the DB dependency, we would need
confirmation that we can move from 4.1 to 4.4 safely.