GNOME hangs on startup when using "advanced" themes

Goaengel goaengel at gmx.net
Sat May 3 01:06:45 UTC 2008

Dear FreeBSD-GNOME members,

I experience a problem as follows:

On gnome 2.22.1which is basically running fine I experience hangs at
startup, when I choose a more advanced theme (basically anything else
than Clearlooks or Mist). This only happens when exiting GNOME back to
gdm an reentering it from there. After a reboot it works fine.
Also starting it via an XTERM does not help, neither displays error
messages that help (only error that trackerd is already running and
cannot replace)

I am running RELENG_7 with a custom kernel, ports are up to date.

I recall this being a very old problem, I have experienced it about 3-4
years ago on Debian, too. Being unable to "tweak" my DM as I want, I
switched to KDE. Now I am giving the GNOME a shot again, but still this
annoying behavior.

Any hints would be appreciated. Please let me know when you need any
kind of log or similar.

Please keep me on cc, since I am not subscribed to the list.

Regards, Tino