a few questions about gnome 2.22

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Mar 30 20:35:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 10:21 -0700, George Hartzell wrote:

> I use startx with a .xinitrc file that exec's gnome-session.  After
> the update the gnome startup dialog box hangs around for a long time
> displaying the 'gnome-volume-manager' strings.  The right-most of the
> graphic icons is the battery/power-plug icon.  Rough wall clock
> measurements tell me that it waits 1.75 or 2 minutes to disappear.

See the list of known issues at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq222.html#q4 as well as the new HAL
FAQ at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html .  Additionally,
you might be hitting the X-pauses-with-moused problem discussed on
freebsd-x11 at .

> My usb memory stick to automount would not automagically mount, even
> though I'm in the operator group.  Some googling suggested that I
> should add:
>   <match action="org.freedesktop.halstorage.mount-removable">
>    <return result="yes">
>   </match>
> to /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf.  Now my memory stick
> mounts automagically.  Is this normally required?  Did I miss it in
> the freebsd gnome FAQ or should it be added?

Read the new HAL FAQ mentioned above.

> On my keyboard the key just to the left of my left pinky is labeled
> 'caps lock' and functions as a caps lock.  I'd rather have it be a
> control key.  I've changed the text console to take care of it.  In
> gnome, I use the System->Preferences->Keyboard dialog box, Layouts
> tab, Layout Options dialog to change the 'Ctrl key position' from
> Default to 'Swap Ctrl and CapsLock', which fixes it.  BUT, when I exit
> the X session and restart it the capslock key is a capslock key
> again.  When I get back to that dialog the 'Swap Ctrl and CapsLock'
> radio button is still selected.  If I choose 'Default' and then
> 'Swap...' I'm back in business until I log out.  Then I have to do it
> again.

This might be a product of the upgrade.  Try creating a new user, and
see if the problem occurs for them.  If so, I'd file a GNOME bug (if one
doesn't already exist).  If not, you may have to go into gconf-editor,
and unset a lot of the keyboard keys to get things working again.