Can Gnome install from CD-ROM with defaults?

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Fri Jun 27 01:30:38 UTC 2008

> >> I think the "batch" option to portinstall is what you want:
> >>
> >> $ portinstall --batch gnome2
> >>
> >> should work out what dependencies are needed and install gnome without
> >> user intervention.
>
> Wonder what actual aspect of the installation process you'd be trying to
> illustrate?  Because, you could install this using packages (fastest) or
via a
> tool like is illustrated above, or the hard way ... it largely depends on
what
> you're trying to show the students.  In all cases, what strikes me is the
fact
> that this is a pretty large, long job, in all cases requiring much longer
than
> you probably have for a single class.  So, maybe you could tell us?

I didn't want to clutter up my request for help with a long story, but for
those interested, here it is.

I have been invited to teach to a group of homeschoolers. High school,
mostly, possibly some younger, TBD. "Computer stuff." I want to align the
student's efforts with my Open Slate Project (http://openslate.net). A
fundamental concept of the project is that students master their tools.
Eventually, every student will build their own computer, which includes
installing and configuring the software. The preferred OS is FreeBSD. The
GUI has not been selected, but I happen to like Gnome so for now I'll start
with what I know.

I like hands-on learning. I prefer students be given tasks they do not yet
understand, then as the questions get answered they have experiences to
match them to. A place to store the answers. This is more likely to
generate more questions than simply lecturing at them. Without experience,
information is just stuff to memorize.

I want the first class session to cover how to install FreeBSD, and we will
do one. Homework then is installing FreeBSD themselves, on their computer.
Advanced students can go ahead and try installing Gnome, but it will be the
subject of the second meeting. We won't be building anything yet, just
installing on old hardware.

We have not decided how often we will meet, but at the most once a month,
so big homework projects are the best. They will have on-line resources,
forums and mail.

That is half of the course content. The other half is learning to edit in
wikimedia and using that skill to create content on the Open Slate Wiki
(http://wiki.openslate.net).

I know I can install FreeBSD from CD-ROM and the only real challenge is the
installer maze. I have alread documented a basic install on the wiki. After
we do one together the students should be able to follow those instructions
and get FreeBSD up and running. It's Gnome I worry about. I have only
gotten it to work when installed live from ports. I tried installing from
packages and nothing worked right, starting with the video. Installing from
ports via the 'net takes hours, with lots of stopping to ask for
configuration settings.

What I am thinking is that if I have every tarball Gnome will look for I
can copy them to the new /usr/ports/distfiles and run the install without a
network connection. My goal is a first time install that is mostly automatic.

All comments welcome.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
Open Slate Project
    http://openslate.net/
73 BMW E9 (3.0 CS) 2213583 (rust repair research project)
    http://e9erust.blogspot.com/