Troubles upgrading to freetds-0.82

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Jun 26 12:24:18 UTC 2008

On четвер 26 червень 2008, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
= >  2. Similarly, shared libraries, such as libtds.so.5 is no
= > longer installed,
= >     hurting binary compatibility (ABI) and, no doubt, some
= > Makefiles somewhere.
=
= yes, we removed entirely libTDS (headers and libraries) from
= distribution. This to assure future ABI.

It seems, a greater bunch of things are broken now, than I originally
thought -- php-backends no longer build, for example, as well as
libgda3-freetds:

	http://www.freshports.org/databases/libgda3-freetds
	http://www.freshports.org/databases/php5-sybase_ct

Oh, well...

= >  I notice, that BLK_VERSION_100 and _110 are still defined in
= > cspublic.h
= >  (both as CS_VERSION_100), but that's it -- the API
= > compatibility with the
= >  older version is now broken.
=
= :( fixed in a post patch at freetds.sf.net. James is planning to package
= an updated source package.

So, will there be a 0.83 sime time soon?

In addition, my personal pet-peeve is the lack of /automatic/ recognition of
Sybase vs. SQL-server. I'm sure there is a way -- at the low level -- to
detect, what "flavor" the server is and set the settings->msdblib flag
automatically regardless of the compile-time setting.

Because, for example, currently one can only have either databases/freetds or
databases/freetds-msdblib

	http://www.freshports.org/databases/freetds
or
	http://www.freshports.org/databases/freetds-msdblib

And the same application (or a toolkit like Sybtcl) can not talk to both types
of servers /at once/, unless it is hacked to change a connection's
settings->msdblib itself, which means, it has to be FreeTDS-aware, rather
than simply use the vendor's API.

Yours,

	-mi