Unable to umount removable media: device busy

Dominique Goncalves dominique.goncalves at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 13:29:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

I use at home a Gnome desktop on FreeBSD 6.3 (ports last updated
before the devel/gettext update).
When I plug my removable HDD (USB Maxtor, 500Go formatted with fat32
filesystem), it is auto mounted. But I can't umount my HDD, it fails
with

>> umount: unmout of /media/disk failed: Device busy

I tried from the command line and right clicking the icon on the desktop.
All applications are closed.
What can I do to solve this problem?

Another question about my HDD, when I shutdown my computer, my HDD is
still turned on. This is not the case with Windows XP.
How to turn off the HDD when I shutdown my computer?

Let me know need if you need more information,
Thanks in advance.
Regards.

--
There's this old saying: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach
a man to fish, feed him for life."