FreeBSD port x11-toolkits/vte makes /usr(local world writable

V.Chukharev chukharev at mail.ru
Tue Jun 17 13:09:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:21:44 +0300, V.Chukharev <chukharev at mail.ru> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 18:29:51 +0300, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 06:21:07 -0500, V.Chukharev <chukharev at mail.ru> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have seen the following error a number of times after upgrading the
>>> ports last month or two.
>>> $ portversion -OvL=
>>> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkgtools.rb:1137: warning: Insecure
>>> world writable dir /usr/local in PATH, mode 040777
>>> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkgmisc.rb:136: warning: Insecure
>>> world writable dir /usr/local in PATH, mode 040777
>>>
>>> Indeed, the dir is world writable:
>>> $ ls -ld /usr/local
>>> drwxrwxrwx  27 root  wheel  512  2 Jun 21:57 /usr/local
> [...]
>> I can't reproduce it when I reinstalled vte.
>>
>> # ls -ld /usr/local
>> drwxr-xr-x  16 root  wheel  512 Jun  7 08:42 /usr/local/
>
> Thanks for trying. I guess it's something with my world then. I had problems when
> tried to build the world with -Os (which worked for me on 6-STABLE), then
> I removed it from COPTFLAGS but left in CFLAGS...
>
> I'll make a new world with no optimization and come back again. This might
> take a while though.

I have rebuilt the world, and then started to rebuild all the installed ports,
(anyway, gettext was changed). I rebuilt the ports alphabetically, like
portupgrade -m -DNOCLEANDEPENDS --batch -x openoffice.org  -wkpf '[A-a]*'
then 'b*', etc. In between of installations I searched for programs with
wrong modes. Since approximately middle of tha alphabet (e.i. after 'g*' to 'm*',
I cannot tell more accurately) the wrong modes stopped to appear.

My guess is that one of the ports used to build others had problems, perhaps
due to optimization flags earlier used via make.conf, or due to upgrade with
umask 07. Once I noticed a warning that umask is wrong after a number ports
got upgraded, perhaps I missed some of them with force rebuild with corrected
umask.

Thanks!

--
V. Chukharev