glib's python dependency

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Jun 15 18:02:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 12:10 +0200, Markus Dolze wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using 'mc' which requires 'glib' which itself has a dependency on
> Python. From the changelog I found that gtester-report is using Python.
> After browsing the sources I am still unsure how much of Python is used
> elsewhere in glib (e.g. regular expressions).
>
> What is Python used for in glib? I would like to get rid of this
> dependency, but am not sure how much will break if I do so.

Python is a hard requirement of glib.  It is required by the installed
script gtester-report (as you have found).  If you feel that the
dependency should be optional, open a bug with the glib authors, and
have them change the code to make it so.  If Python was removed now, it
would break this script, and any consumer of it.