Helping to put FreeBSD GNOME onto more desktops

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 9 22:06:46 UTC 2008

Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> I am all for the Idea of considering PC-BSD FreeBSD's Officially
> supported Desktop.
>
> I assume that is what we are aiming for here. one thing I am a little
> confused about though.

We're aiming for giving PC-BSD users a choice of desktop (at least
that's what my PBI aims to do).  We're not trying to change PC-BSD, just
leverage what they have already created for people who would like a
GNOME desktop.

> Kris more mentioned to me once that, one of the reasons why portupgrade
> -ar would not work well on PC-BSD is because,  hal was patched. I am not
> sure of the details. but could we pull this patch back into FreeBSD , so
> that portupgrade -ar would not mess up PC-BSD?

PC-BSD uses the ports collection at this point.  The patch to which he
referred was pulled into the official hal port.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome