GNOME's newbiew woes and rantings

Steiner, Bernard Bernard.Steiner at lahmeyer.de
Wed Jan 23 12:36:34 PST 2008

> Some processes (of which I am not sure what they are supposed to be doing) seem to grab a CPU
> and just increase its core temperature as a CPUhog.

  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 1611 bs            1 112    0 24376K  4904K CPU1   0   2:12 99.74% bonobo-activation-s

I can send this a signal 9 no problem...
Then I get a nice pop-up telling me, for e.g., that the panel encontered a problem blah and unfortunately the rest is now illegible
and refuses to be re-drawn. This, I click the upper right X to close the error pop-up and get
quote
 "Error" is not responding.
 You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the application to quit entirely. [Wait] [Force Quit].

Great... [Force Quit]

Now I only have a nice
  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 1655 bs            1 120    0 24680K  5024K CPU1   0   5:15 100.05% bonobo-activation-s

How the hell does this thing manage to eat 100% CPU when the manual explains that it "reads files" ?
Liars...

Okay, so I killed that one as well.

> Some processes SEGV on me straight away (abiword, some screen savers, and others which I haven't the foggiest idea what they are supposed to do). The number of *.core files I got since I started on GNOME simply amazes me.

Most of the screen savers SEGV on me. I'll go and disable them, shall I.
Maybe that might get rid of most of the *core

Also I will follow the FAQ's hints on device permissions etcetera and see whether that improves things. There's just trivial stuff that
baffles me, like the FAQ mentions ways of doing things to nautilus while at the same time I have no clue what nautilus is (apart from
being under the command of Captain Nemo, of course):
man nautilus
No manual entry for nautilus

Horray for that...

abiword still crashes; this is
FreeBSD grimma 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #12: Thu Jan 17 21:46:02 CET 2008     root at grimma:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GRIMMA  amd64
and ports are up to date:
abiword --version
GNOME AbiWord-2.4 2.4.6

will also try and get a serial console working to catch the odd panic() which now I assume gets lost because the console is in X11 GNOME graphics mode

Bernard