Patch for sysutils/gnome-control-center without_gstreamer

Dylan Leigh dylan.leigh at rmit.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 23:50:26 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:47:35AM +0000, mezz at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> We (FreeBSD GNOME Team) have agreed to not add this option, because GNOME
> desktop pretty much need gstreamer in core to make its function better.

I have been running GNOME without gstreamer for over a year on a thin
client system. There have been no problems (apart from the configure
argument issue with gnome-control-center which was easily fixed with
this patch).

In situations like mine where it's not possible or desirable to use
any sound or "multimedia" stuff anyway, is there any other reason to
include gstreamer and its many dependencies? As far as I can tell,
GNOME functions perfectly without them.

--
Dylan Leigh - http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dleigh/