gnome-cups-manager / gnome-cups-add problems

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Jan 17 09:36:50 PST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:13:28 -0600, Yousif Hassan <yousif at alumni.jmu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> With the newest GNOME on FreeBSD (2.20) has anyone had luck using the
> GNOME cups clients to add/configure CUPS printers?  My attempts all
> fail.

It works for me with gnome-cups-(manager|add) by setup to connect via
samba on other computer that has WindowsXP with printer. I can't get
printer works on FreeBSD even via web-based CUPS interface, so only way to
get work is by via samba+cups. So... I never knew how
gnome-cups-(manager|add) are doing on FreeBSD with printer.

> I checked out the FAQs and browsed through this list but can't find
> anything relevant.
>
> It might have something to do with the authentication to root when I run
> it as a normal user:
>
> GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

This error is harmless, you get that because your GTK app is running as in
root. You will see a lot of that if you search in google. I get that too
and I don't have problem with use gnome-cups-(manager|add).

> Despite the message, the 'gnome-cups-add' interface proceeds to show the
> proper dialogs and everything seems normal - till the end - the printer
> is
> NOT added, and the error message is:
>
> ** (gnome-cups-add:20755): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status
> 1028
>
> I researched that message, and got lots of hits, but nothing fits.  It
> could be a bug upstream, and if so - I just want to know that.
>
> Using the web-based CUPS interface to add/configure/etc printers works
> fine, even without "root" access, so this is how I've isolated it to
> the GNOME CUPS clients.

Sorry, my respone isn't really helpful since I am pretty clueless either.
If I have printer that works with FreeBSD, then it would be a different
story as I might be able to get it works.

> Thanks for any pointers.
> Yousif

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org