HALd + atapicam + growisofs leads to burn failure - or - How to burn DVDs with Gnome ?

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Wed Jan 16 23:47:22 PST 2008

Hi

Is there any good howto about burning DVD disks under modern Gnome with
FreeBSD ?

I have RELENG_7 FreeBSD + recent Gnome from ports tree.

Burning CDs is ok with both nautilus and burncd utility.

But wen I've going to burn DVD I've had a problem -

scenario was - loading atapicam (my favorite growisofs from sysutils/dvd
+rw-tools does not support acd driver)

At that point I had two cdrom devices /dev/acd0 and /dev/cd0.

Then I've started to burn some data with growisofs (on /dev/cd0
+ /dev/pass0)
after burning some percents hald (or whatever) detects new disk in
drive !!!
and  then tried to mount it. This leads to write failure by growisofs.

Only solution I've found - is to stop hald before burning, but it looks
ugly for me.

Any other ideas ?

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov