Brasero on FreeBSD

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Jan 1 11:41:44 PST 2008

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:09:53 -0600, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 03:52 +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> As a co-maintainer of Brasero i'm tempted to ask why FreeBSD hasn't
>> brasero 0.7.0 on the ports tree. None of us are using FreeBSD sadly but
>> we can work together to make it work better for FreeBSD if it isn't
>> working atm. Please bump brasero.
>
> First, this is very encouraging.  I love it when maintainers make an
> effort to help port their application to another platform.  Thank you.

I second.

> Now for the bad news.  We have quite a few users that want to use
> brasero on FreeBSD, but we haven't had anyone step up to fix the
> problems.  Admittedly, I offered to look into this a while ago, but fell

ahze said that he can try to take a look at it, but he was very busy too.

> behind with non-FreeBSD work, and the FreeBSD hal port update.  Here's
> were we stand with brasero now:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/115240 : This looks
> like a problem with brasero overriding PATH for a Linux-centric
> environment.  mkisofs is found in /usr/local/bin on FreeBSD.
> Admittedly, I have not looked into the brasero code to determine if this
> is the case, or if this problem is still relevant in 0.7.0.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/117364 : This is a bit
> nastier.  FreeBSD's cdrecord only supports the legacy bus,target,lun
> notation.  Our HAL exports this address via the block.freebsd.cam_path
> property, and I hacked nautilus-cd-burner to support this property on
> FreeBSD.
>
> If you have suggestions on these problems, I would be happy to get
> brasero up to 0.7.0 and working properly on FreeBSD.

In the changelog of 0.7.0, 'New Plugin system for burning backends.'.
Maybe it will be easier for us to update it in our ports tree. I can give
it a shot. I wasn't able to do that with 0.6.x because it required someone
with C/SCSI knowledge.

> Joe

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org