Question about updating guile to 1.8

Amatus c11h15no2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 23:59:10 UTC 2008

--- Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:28:05 -0600, Joe Marcus Clarke
> <marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 08:38 -0800, Amatus wrote:
> <snip>
> >>  I'm running into more problems with gnucash and lsh using
> >> RUN_DEPENDS. I need to .include <bsd.port.pre.mk> before the !=
> but if
> >> I move it up too high in the file (before RUN_DEPENDS) then make
> >> breaks. Would it be ok to just edit the dependency to be
> >> "slib-guile>=3a4:${PORTSDIR}/lang/slib-guile" instead of
> >>
> "${LOCALBASE}/share/guile/1.6/slibcat:${PORTSDIR}/lang/slib-guile"?
> >
> > This is fine.  Also, there's no dishonor in hardcoding the guile
> > version.  It may look ugly, but guile's minor version hasn't
> changed
> > much, and it's not too hard to chase.
>
> I agree with marcus, leave hardcore won't hurt as it doesn't change
> that
> much. It's what I would do.
>
> Cheers,
> Mezz

Is the proper way to submit such a change to bundle the guile update
changes and the changes to the hardcoded dependencies in the same
patch? I was afraid of making changes that would break other packages,
and instead of worrying about them being in sync with my change, to
remove the problem (hardcoded versions) before making the change.