Question about updating guile to 1.8

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Feb 25 23:20:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 14:28 -0800, Amatus wrote:
> --- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote:

> > in
> > lang/slib,
> > are

> > > I uninstalled guile and make describe worked fine with some noise
> > on
> > > stderr.
> >
> > What output?  Any output on stderr is bad.
>
> The "make describe" outputs "/usr/local/bin/guile-config: not found" on
> stderr as you might expect and the exit code is 0. Since "make index"
> pipes stdout to the INDEX file everything should work fine, just some
> uglyness on the user's screen. If it's really important I can try 2>
> /dev/null in the command or maybe a test -f to see if the file exists
> first.

The bigger problem is what happens to the make describe output?  If you
are not trying to use GUILE_VERSION in other make variables, I would
skip the != notation, and use the previous `...` notation as it is
safer.  If you use !=, and the make variables that reference
GUILE_VERSION are used to in things like *_DEPENDS, then that will
effectively break INDEX and package builds.

Joe