Question about updating guile to 1.8

Amatus c11h15no2 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 03:21:57 UTC 2008

--- Amatus <c11h15no2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 14:24 -0800, Amatus wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > > I'm working on updating lang/guile to 1.8.
> >
> > Excellent.
> >
> > >  I've basically got that
> > > working but there are several other ports that refer to
> > > ${LOCALBASE}/share/guile/1.6 that will need to be fixed. These
> are:
> > > security/lsh
> > > lang/slib-guile
> > > finance/gnucash
> > > I've just started doing port development so I'd like to ask what
> is
> > the
> > > correct way to fix these ports. What do you guys think of the
> > attached
> > > patch for lang/slib-guile?
> >
> > This patch is okay.  But note that GUILE_VERSION is not expanded
> > until
> > it is used in sh.  That is, GUILE_VERSION does NOT equal "1.8".
> You
> > will not be able to make it equal "1.8" until it is interpreted by
> > sh.
> > The way you're using it here is fine, though.
> >
> > As for the command itself, it should probably be:
> >
> > `${LOCALBASE}/bin/guile-config info guileversion | ${CUT} -f 1-2 -d
> > .`
> >
> > Are you in a position to be run-time testing these ports with the
> new
> > guile?  Once you're done with your work, do you want to be the
> guile
> > maintainer?
> >
> > Joe
>
> I realize it's not expanded immediately. I know in GNU make there is
> the $(shell) syntax for doing that but I didn't find a way to do that
> in BSD make. Do you know the Right Way?
> I use gnucash regularly so I will give that a good exercising before
> submit a patch. The other packages I will "smoke test," as they say,
> make sure they don't explode when I run them.
> I'm ok with being the maintainer for guile. Thanks for your help.

I found out this trick doesn't work in RUN_DEPENDS in finance/gnucash,
and also that I needed to add a PLIST_SUB to lang/slib-guile. Now I'm
using != for GUILE_VER and it seems to be working better. Attached is
what my change for lang/slib-guile looks like now.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?