gnome-cups-manager

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Feb 18 09:34:13 PST 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:12:41 -0600, Giovanni Nava
<giovanni.nava at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> i managed to solve some gnome-cups-manager and cups issue under freebsd
> and i want to share with you my solution. Maybe there is some users that
> are affected by the same problems:
>
> 1- gnome-cups-manager fails to open "add printer" windows and when
> accessed in user mode fail to change to administrator mode with error

I can't reproduce it. It always work for me.

> solution: in terminal i type
>
> xhost local:root
>

> and i add a file /root/.bashrc with the follwing line
>
> export XAUTHORITY=/home/name/.Xauthority
>

> now i can switch in administrator mode and open "add printer" without
> any problems
>
> 2- I think that is a cups issue and i am nearly a freebsd newbie, so
> maybe i need your check
>
> gnome-cups-add fails to add printer  with error:
>
> *WARNING **: IPP request* failed with status 1280

Search that line in google, you will see a lot of Linux users have it too.

> even in web interface when a login is requested to add printer, manage
> job and in general for administration, cups seem not to accepting any
> password and crash.

If you built cups with PAM support, then I don't know. It's turn off by
default and I don't use it. Thanks for send useful info in mailing list.

FYI: The gnome-cups-manager is unmaintain by upstream for over a year or
more, so it's dying.

> In /var/log/cups/error_log i find pam_start() return error 4. so i
> started thinking that there is some error in cups pam file. i find in
> /usr/local/etc/pam.d/cups the following line:
>

> auth    required        pam_unknown.so nullok shadow
> account required        pam_unknown.so
>

> i changed the file to this
>
> auth    required        /usr/lib/pam_unix.so nullok account
> required        /usr/lib/pam_unix.so
>

> To be sure that the correct lp command are used and that cups pick up
> the correct cups pam file I do
>
> ln -s  /usr/local/etc/pam.d/cups /etc/pam.d/cups
> mv /usr/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp.bak && mv /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.bak && mv
> /usr/bin/lprm /usr/bin/lprm.bak
>
>  Now either web interface and gnome-cups-manager(-add) add printers and
> manage jobs successfully. I install and setup samba on my freebsd and
> I'll been able to print to two printers shared by a windows computer and
> to printers directly attached to my computer. All seem working very well.
> I can print with abiword, openoffice and xdvik successfully doing "lpr
> -P/printer/" (with openoffice i use spadmin to setup a printer)
> In firefox, thunderbird and i think many others printers are detected
> directly in their print windows.
>
> I hope that my solution can help you in your work.
>
> Greetings
>
> Giovanni Nava
>
> P.S.
> I use gnome 2.20 in a freebsd 6.3 Release computer  (all portupgraded)

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org