Unable to build libIDL-0.8.10

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Feb 2 13:09:38 PST 2008

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:35:29 -0600, Gerard <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:50:04 -0600
> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Try to uninstall flex port and try libIDL again. You can reinstall
>> flex after that. I have checked in flex bug tracker and there are
>> some bug reports when users upgraded flex from 2.5.33 to 2.5.34. I
>> also have searched in google and a few of Linux users had to
>> downgrade their flex to get libIDL compile.
>>
>> =====================================
>> # flex --version
>> flex version 2.5.4
>> =====================================
>
> Yes, that was exactly the problem; although I fail to see why. I am not
> sure if I should file a PR for this or not.

Well, I am not sure if it's flex bug or if it's libIDL that needs to catch
up with new flex.

I am wondering, did you tweak the PATH? I have installed textproc/flex and
libIDL picks up /usr/bin/flex rather than /usr/local/bin/flex, and it can
build too.

# pkg_info -IX flex
flex-2.5.34         Fast lexical analyzer generator

# ls -l /usr/local/bin/flex
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  464755 Feb  2 15:03 /usr/local/bin/flex*

# ls -l /usr/bin/flex
-r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  149008 Jan 12 17:49 /usr/bin/flex*

# pwd
/usr/ports/devel/libIDL
# make configure
# grep flex work/libIDL-0.8.10/config.log
configure:4834: checking for flex
configure:4850: found /usr/bin/flex
configure:4861: result: flex
configure:4898: flex conftest.l
[...]

# echo $PATH
/usr/local/libexec/ccache:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin

> Thanks for your assistance!

No problem.

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org