Firefox on FreeBSD 7/amd64

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Feb 1 09:02:48 PST 2008

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:13:17 +1300
> From: Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 07:33:01PM -0600, Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >
> > >   Sure. I don't have time at work, but I will change it on my home
> > > server(basically same setup) tonight.
> > >

> >    Well on my home server, running BETA3 & 2.0.0.11, the page works
> > fine.
> >    It is also using the SCHED_4BSD.
>
> I was observing "top" when I revisited http://www.xwiki.org/ and I noticed
> that the problematic process appeared to the XOrg-server and not firefax.
>
> Which video driver are your machines running? My problematic machine is
> using "nv", while the other machine that works fine is using the "intel"
> driver.

FWIW, I have been seeing something similar on my T43. It runs a Radeon
graphics chip and, for several Firefox operations that involve
significant screen updates. (For example, "Save page as...".) It makes
downloading with Firefox rather painful.

xorg is eating most of the CPU. Other browsers (such as Epiphany and
Galeon) don't have this problem.

The system has had this problem for a long time, through several
versions of Firefox and Xorg. I am pretty sure it was showing up with
xorg-6.9 and maybe before. It has even survived a complete re-install of
all ports.

I'd love to see this fixed!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer