ports/128694: www/firefox3 - Firefox 3 corrupts PostScript printer fonts

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Dec 24 12:40:06 PST 2008

The following reply was made to PR ports/128694; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Simpson <bms at incunabulum.net>
To: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>
Cc: gnome at freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/128694: www/firefox3 - Firefox 3 corrupts PostScript printer
 fonts
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:29:55 +0000

 Jeremy Messenger wrote:
 > No problem. I have went to http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ and I
 > can't reproduce it. It prints fine, but it does not print image in
 > middle that has lizard or some kind of repitle. Maybe it's normal as
 > it's different from Opera. But both Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 show the
 > same result. Are your Firefox 3 in non-english (custom LANG/locale)?
 > Mine locale looks like this:
 >
 > ---------------------------
 > # locale
 > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 > LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
 > LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
 > LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
 > LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
 > LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
 > LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
 > LC_ALL=
 > ---------------------------

 Locale is "C" on all my systems, I stopped using locales because of
 legacy problems with other apps in history.
 I think the Perforce clients were affected.

 > Are you using gutenprint? I don't know if it has to do with gutenprint
 > update has to do with it. I only have updated gutenprint-base and
 > gutenprint-cups in case if you want to give it a shot. I do not think
 > it will changing your result since print works in your Firefox 2, but
 > never know.
 >
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/gutenprint-base.diff
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/gutenprint-case.diff

 Those diffs are big... ;-)  don't have anything like that around.

 I use Gutenprint with Cups, print server has:
 tack:~ % pkg_info | grep cups
 cups-base-1.3.9_2   Common UNIX Printing System
 cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to
 non-PS printers
 gutenprint-cups-5.1.7_3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
 tack:~ % pkg_info | grep guten
 gutenprint-5.1.7_1  The "meta-port" for GutenPrint
 gutenprint-base-5.1.7_1 GutenPrint Printer Driver
 gutenprint-cups-5.1.7_3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
 gutenprint-foomatic-5.1.7_1 GutenPrint Printer Driver
 gutenprint-ijs-5.1.7_1 GutenPrint Printer Driver

 tack:~ % uname -a
 FreeBSD tack.lon.incunabulum.net 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE
 #0: Thu Dec  4 08:47:31 GMT 2008
 root at tack.lon.incunabulum.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TACK  i386
 tack:~ %

 > BTW: Forgot to say, I am using MarcusCom CVS that has newer GTK+,
 > GNOME, cairo and stuff. Probably some of these ports have fixed
 > Firefox 3's print problem? I don't have any 'normal' system that isn't
 > using MarcusCom CVS by use only vanilla FreeBSD ports tree.

 Vanilla ports here, I use portsnap for updates.