ports/128694: www/firefox3 - Firefox 3 corrupts PostScript printer fonts

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Dec 24 12:30:04 PST 2008

The following reply was made to PR ports/128694; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net>
To: "Bruce Simpson" <bms at incunabulum.net>
Cc: gnome at freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/128694: www/firefox3 - Firefox 3 corrupts PostScript
 printer fonts
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:25:23 -0600

 On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:18:18 -0600, Bruce Simpson <bms at incunabulum.net>
 wrote:

 > Jeremy,
 >
 > Jeremy Messenger wrote:
 >> My sister is home now for x-mas and her Epson Stylus NX400 printer came
 >> with her. So... I have setup share printer in her Vista. I had to
 >> update gutenprint to 5.2.3 to get Epson Stylus NX400 driver. It seems
 >> work in print test so far. I am going to install Firefox 3.0.5, and
 >> will trying to reproduce your problem and try to see if I can get it
 >> fixes. I do not know if update of gutenprint will causing the different
 >> result, but I hope not.
 >
 > Thank you very much for taking time to look at this, I really appreciate
 > it.

 No problem. I have went to http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ and I
 can't reproduce it. It prints fine, but it does not print image in middle
 that has lizard or some kind of repitle. Maybe it's normal as it's
 different from Opera. But both Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 show the same
 result. Are your Firefox 3 in non-english (custom LANG/locale)? Mine
 locale looks like this:

 ---------------------------
 # locale
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
 LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
 LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
 LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
 LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
 LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
 LC_ALL=
 ---------------------------

 Are you using gutenprint? I don't know if it has to do with gutenprint
 update has to do with it. I only have updated gutenprint-base and
 gutenprint-cups in case if you want to give it a shot. I do not think it
 will changing your result since print works in your Firefox 2, but never
 know.

 http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/gutenprint-base.diff
 http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/gutenprint-case.diff

 BTW: Forgot to say, I am using MarcusCom CVS that has newer GTK+, GNOME,
 cairo and stuff. Probably some of these ports have fixed Firefox 3's print
 problem? I don't have any 'normal' system that isn't using MarcusCom CVS
 by use only vanilla FreeBSD ports tree.

 > cheers
 > BMS

 FreeBSD GNOME Team