Broken Mouse Pointer

osp at aloha.com osp at aloha.com
Tue Dec 9 03:10:37 PST 2008

Re:
> I just installed Gnome on FreeBSD 7.1 beta and have a problem with my mouse
> pointer. Most of the time it displays as a translucent rectangle of randomly
> placed pixels, with the upper-left corner the "hot spot." It moves with the
> mouse, and sometimes as it passes over a widget it looks normal, but
> eventually it goes back to a pixel swarm. I have not discovered a clear
> pattern but it seems as though system widgets like a maximize button or a
> menu trigger the swarm.
>
> I also see what  I assume is another instance of this problem, only this one
> does not involve the mouse. After switching to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F1,
> going back to my X session with Ctrl-Alt-F9 produces a screen of pixel noise
> garbage for five or ten seconds, then the desktop appears normal.
>
> There are two special features about the build. I installed the gnome2 port
> with make -DBATCH install clean, and there was a loss of power midway
> through. When I restarted I got an error about a truncated toolkit.o file
> under gtkmm, which I got past with a make clean and a make in the associated
> port directory.
>
> So far I have deinstalled / reinstalled these ports:
>
> gtkmm-2.12.7_1
> gtk-2.12.11.1
> glib-2.16.5
>
> Is there a quick fix for this? Do I need to reinstall Gnome? Is pkg_delete
> gnome2-2.22.3 the best way to get rid of my current installation?
>
> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> osp at aloha.com
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

This morning I decided to reinstall Gnome, this time without the -DBATCH
switch. The result: no improvement.

First I used the command from the web site, modified for my newer version:

    pkg_deinstall -Rf x11/gnome2-2.22.3

Next I did a portsnap. When I executed make install from
/usr/ports/x11/gnome2 I saw python and perl being fetched. I thought I
still had all of the tarballs. Two or three times the build stopped because
something was missing. Each time I just went to that port, did a make -
make deinstall - make reinstall - make clean sequence, then returned to the
Gnome build. It turned out I did have most of the tarballs, so maybe the
new downloads were the result of the portsnap.

Like I said, the bug is still there. Could this be an X bug?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/