ports/129023: graphics/gimp: URI plugin doesn't work in GIMP - GNOMEVFS is "on"

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Dec 1 13:50:04 PST 2008

The following reply was made to PR ports/129023; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net>
To: "Lars Stokholm" <lars.stokholm at gmail.com>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/129023: graphics/gimp: URI plugin doesn't work in GIMP -
 GNOMEVFS is "on"
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:42:14 -0600

 On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:05:15 -0600, Lars Stokholm
 <lars.stokholm at gmail.com> wrote:

 > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
 >> Does it makes any difference if you add '--without-gvfs' in the
 >> CONFIGURE_ARGS and reinstall gimp-app?
 >
 > That did the trick! Thanks a lot.
 >
 > But it gets me thinking, why I would use gvfs in the first place when
 > it's gnomevfs that gets installed:
 >
 > From Makefile:
 > GNOMEVFS "Use GNOME VFS for the URI plug-in" on

 Because our gimp-app/Makefile is a bit out of date for gimp 2.6. It needs
 to be catch up. I will fix it. I have shown you in the previous email like
 this:

 if test "x$with_gvfs" != xno; then
     uri_plugin="yes (using GIO/GVfs)"
 elif test "x$have_gnomevfs" = xyes; then
     uri_plugin="yes (using gnome-vfs)"
 elif test "x$have_libcurl" = xyes; then
     uri_plugin="yes (using libcurl)"
 elif test "x$os_win32" = xno; then
     uri_plugin="yes (using wget)"
 fi

 If it finds gvfs then it will using gvfs by default rather than the rest.
 The gvfs is a new project and is first time to be part of GNOME 2.22.
 Probably something is unfinish or bug in gvfs 0.x, but at least it's fixed
 in gvfs 1.x that is in MarcusCom CVS. It will be merging into FreeBSD
 ports tree when FreeBSD 7.1 is released. However, I will add disable gvfs
 in FreeBSD ports and fix a bit more. As for the MarcusCom CVS, I will fix
 the dependency and reword by use gvfs rather than gnome-vfs.

 TODO of grapics/gimp for FreeBSD ports:
 - Disable gvfs.
 - Add iso-codes dependency.
 - Add autocheck gnomeui dependency.
 - Probably more if I find any.

 > But I don't even know the difference, so I'm probably wrong. But even
 > so, wouldn't it be better to use curl instead of gnomevfs or gvfs?

 It's better to use gnome-vfs or gvfs, because it supports a lot more for
 URI stuff like samba, fuse, ftp and etc.

 > Anyway, I hope you find a way to fix this in ports, one way or another.
 > :)

 I will tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for report and test!

 > Cheers,
 > Lars

 FreeBSD GNOME Team