Marcusmerge with tarball

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Sep 23 21:01:59 PDT 2007

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:29:22 -0500, Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 9/23/07, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:28:34 -0500, Dominique Goncalves
>> <dominique.goncalves at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I would like to upgrade gnome 2.18 to 2.20 using the marcusmerge
>> > script with the tarball option because I use portsnap but it fails:
>>
>> The tarball is empty, so it's broke at the moment. You will have to use
>> CVS method instead of tarball for now.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mezz
>>
>> > %sudo sh marcusmerge -u -t -v -s /usr/ports/MARCUSMERGE
>> > ===> Downloading the tarball for the ports module.
>> > ===> Download done.
>> > ===> Extracting /var/tmp/mctmp.Rq2QLP to /usr/ports/MARCUSMERGE.
>> > ===> Extraction done.
>> > ===> Merging files into the ports directory
>> > /usr/ports/MARCUSMERGE/ports --> /usr/ports
>> > ls: /usr/ports/MARCUSMERGE/ports: No such file or directory
>> > ===> Merging done.
>> >

>> > You can now run "portupgrade -a" to upgrade your ports tree.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help,
>> > Regards.
>>

>> --
>> mezz7 at cox.net  -  mezz at FreeBSD.org
>> FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
>> http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/  -  gnome at FreeBSD.org
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org
>>

> could someone tell me the syntax I use to merge a Fresh 6.2 install
> with a Fresh portsnap fetch extract to gnome 2.20?

You have to use marcusmerge.sh script to do it. For the first time user:

1) Use portsnap or CVSup to update your FreeBSD ports tree.
2) Run 'sh marcusmerge.sh'

As for the update:

1) sh marcusmerge.sh -U (to unmerge)
2) Use portsnap or CVSup to update your FreeBSD ports tree.
3) Run 'sh marcusmerge.sh -u'

That's it. Be sure to read in
http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ first before you fetch
that marcusmerge.sh script.