ports/115870: [DEPS] graphics/cairo reduce X dependencies

Tue Sep 4 02:46:31 PDT 2007

Quoting Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> (Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:18:10 +0200):

> Alexander Leidinger píše v út 04. 09. 2007 v 11:11 +0200:
>
> > > What do you mean by 'explicit' depends? I don't want to list every
> > > single each lib in every single each port, when I can rely on indirect
> > > dependencies via ports like gtk20.
> >
> > Explicit dependencies makes it more easy to just rebuild those ports
> > which use a specific lib which just had an ABI change. Our users want
> > this.
>
> Ah, this nonsense again.

Please explain why.

If libA.so changes its ABI, you have to rebuild the dependent ports. We
propose "portupgrade -rf libA-a.b.c" for this. With the current scheme
of implicit dependencies recording this works, but takes a lot more
time. Why the hell do I have to rebuild claws-mail when python changes?
There's no reason (I maintain claws-mail, and python is not part of the
explicit dependencies).

With listing the explicit dependencies, we just need to grep for ports
which use the libA port and bump the portrevision for them (there are
scripts which do this). Users now just have to run "portupgrade -r
libA-a.b.c" (without "-f") and as such rebuild less ports (specially
when GNOME or KDE are involved).

> > If we have had this some years ago, we wouldn't had to write a gnome
> > update script.
>
> No - if we had fixed libtool versioning years ago, we wouldn't had to
> write a gnome upgrade script.
>
> > ---snip---
> > USE_GETTEXT=yes
>
> [ snip massive bloat ]

Sorry, but the implicit dependencies we have currently are massive
bloat. What is listed here is the _real_ installed situation. Feel free
to have a look at the script which extracts this information with
objdump (Tools/scripts/neededlibs.sh) and point out deficiencies.

> > xpcom:${PORTSDIR}/unknown
> > xpcom_core:${PORTSDIR}/unknown
> > ---snip---
>
> I'm firmly opposed to this.

Would you please provide technical details why you are opposed to lift
the Ports Collection to a higher feature/quality level?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
A little suffering is good for the soul.
		-- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0