GDM and login.conf(5)

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Oct 31 14:45:47 PDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:01:35 -0500, Oleg Lomaka <oleg.lomaka at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:24:34 -0500, Oleg Lomaka <oleg.lomaka at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> After upgrading to gnome 2.20.1 gdm ignores ~/.login_conf at my
>>> laptop. Does anybody have the same problem or I have broken something?
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2007-October/018297.html
> Thanks for this hint. I've set my default encoding to UTF-8 by adding
> Language parameter to ~/.dmrc file. But is it possible also to set
> LC_MESSAGES variable somehow?

I have no idea for ~/.dmrc.. Maybe edit in /etc/profile or ~/.profile will
working? I haven't tried to test with profile for gdm. Something like this:

LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8; export LANG
LC_MESSAGES=C; export LC_MESSAGES

>>> tdevil% cat ~/.login_conf
>>> # $FreeBSD: src/share/skel/dot.login_conf,v 1.3 2001/06/10 17:08:53
>>> ache Exp $
>>> #
>>> # see login.conf(5)
>>> #
>>> #me:\
>>> #       :charset=iso-8859-1:\
>>> #       :lang=de_DE.ISO8859-1:
>>> me:\
>>>         :setenv=LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8,LC_MESSAGES=C
>>>
>>> tdevil% echo $LANG
>>>
>>> Thanks.

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org