gnome-volume-manager-2.17 in gnome-2.20

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 19 05:56:54 PDT 2007

Eric L. Chen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 19:41 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>> After more test, sometimes g-v-m cannot startup automatically, but
>>> sometimes not.
>> I cannot reproduce this behavior on either my i386 or amd64 GNOME 2.20
>> machines.  At the very least you will need to provide ktrace output of
>> when g-v-m does not start properly.  Preferably, you should use gdb to
>> set breakpoints, and figure out why g-v-m is exiting prematurely.
>>
>> Joe
>>
> ktrace attached.
> g-v-m cannot auto startup, set in
> [System]->[Preferences]->[Sessions]->[Startup Programs].
> But can start by [Alt]-[F2] "Run Application".

Looks like /var/run/utmp is 0 bytes.  g-v-m opens this file, and scans
through it to confirm whether or not the current user is logged in
locally on the console.  To do this, it looks for a utmp record on
either one of the ttyv devices or connected from :0.X where X is >= 0
and <= 9.

Looks like there might be some issue with the way you run X, or some
other problem manipulating /var/run/utmp.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome