(minor) issues after upgrading to 2.20

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Oct 4 13:43:34 PDT 2007

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:12:47 -0500, Frank Jahnke <jahnke at sonatabio.com>
wrote:

>> Good, we need more reports for 2.20.
>
> OK; here's some more feedback.  Installed on 30 Sept 07 from the tarball
> on a 6.2-R-p7, xorg 7.3 system.
>
> 1. The icons for attachments for Evolution were not included.  There are
> two of them.

I don't use evolution, so I will let someone to check on it.

> 2. gnome-art selected from the "Preferences" menu does not work.

The gnome-art is no longer maintain by the developers. :-/ But I can check
and see if there is anything that I can do.

> 3. The screensaver at first was not able to be loaded by a regular user.
> After logging into and out of Gnome as su, I was able to load the
> screensaver as user.  Using it, however, crashed the system.  Evolution
> complained the most.

I can't reproduce it in both dummy account (fresh) and upgrade (with all
old ~/.* stuff). Although, I don't have old ~/.* stuff anymore but it was
what I have tested last time. We will need errors from the output.

> 4.  The Tomboy icon is missing

Do you mean by in GNOME's menu? If you do, then I can't reproduce it. It
is in Accessories -> Tomyboy Notes.

> 5. nspluginwrapper has to be re-run to get the browser plugins to load.
> While this is not a bug, it should be mentioned in UPDATING.

Noted, thanks!

> 6. Documentation from the Help menus is unavailable, but may not have
> been part of the tarball.

I can reproduce it. Yelp is buggy, I will trying to dig in it to see if I
can find anything. Yelp crashes in the exit too.

> 7. Evolution gives many, many warning message, some of which are
> "critical."  It has crashed on me a few times, and other times it
> becomes extremely unresponsive.

I don't use evolution, so I will let someone to check on it. Are you using
amd64 by any chance? If you do, then it's kind of known issue as pav and
ahze have reported that it's slow on amd64. But it works fine and fast in
i386.

> 8. Dia is broken

I will install and check it out.

> 9. OO.o had to be rebuilt.  Again, not a bug, but it might be worth
> mentioning in UPDATING.  This could also be xorg, as I upgraded both at
> nearly the same time.

Maybe it needs to be bump instead add it in UPDATING. You mean by OO.org2?

> 10. There are no updates of Fifth Toe or Power tools yet.

What do you mean by this? I can't read your mind. :-) The Fifth Toe should
be at 2.20.0 and has a new dependency, gnome-devel-docs. But I noticed
that I need to fix gnome-themes-extras dependency in there. As for the
Power tools, it's same on 2.20.0 but I noticed that there is a bug that
need to update epiphany's path. I will fix it.

> 11. Automatic spell checking does not work in Epiphany, though it does
> in Firefox.

Because it is not enable. :-) It is disable by default in the configure
and it claimed that it is experimental. If you run 'make configure' and
you will see this:

         [...]
         Spellchecker               : no (experimental)

I can add a knob option to allow you to enable it if you want me to.

> 12. Epiphany extensions (I use Flash Blocker) broke in the upgrade. I've
> not looked into this yet.

It is supposed to be enable by default. What do you mean by broke?

> Hope this helps!

Thanks!

/me glads to get more eyes. ;-)

> Frank

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org