Metacity not loading

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Mon Oct 1 10:57:11 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 12:46 -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

> Have you read in the /usr/ports/UPDATING (20070913) about xorg 7.3 vs
> nvidia-driver? You have to start xorg by 'startx -- -ignoreABI' and make
> sure the Composite extension is disable.

Yes, all that was done.  As was the patch to CUPS to allow its upgrade,
and the revised mouse code to cure the Xinerama cursor problem.

> If you still have problem, then I have no idea.

Oddly enough, I loaded Metacity from a terminal window once Gnome was
invoked as a regular user, and it loaded.  Since then it has
more-or-less loaded -- often there is a message that it crashed, but ps
shows that it is running.  I don't know Gnome's internals, but I've
never seen this sort of behavior before.