gconfd-2 memory usage is HUGE (100M!)

Mike Harding mvh at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 27 18:52:41 UTC 2007

I found some old gconf config files in /usr/X11R6/etc/gconf.  I
removed that directory, restarted, and things are much better...

   Mike Harding wrote:
   > I still have problems with gconfd chewing up insane amounts of memory.
   > It's currently 100 M, 92 M resident.  Is there any way to diagnose
   > what's going on?  Is this possibly being driven by my use of
   > Evolution, which is hanging in there about 112M (50M resident)?

   You could try setting malloc ktrace trace points, and running ktrace on
   it to see where the memory is going.  I'm not seeing anything strange
   here, so it may be due to some bad gconf XML files.

   Joe Marcus Clarke
   FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
   http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome