Rationale for the linux-fontconfig change in the gnome 2.18 update?

Sun Mar 25 20:07:43 UTC 2007

Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> (Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:02:48 +0400):

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:21:47 -0400 Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 19:31 +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
> > > I would like to know the rationale for the install of a custom
> > > fonts.conf instead of linking to the FreeBSD one as before.
> > >
> > > Are the config files incompatible and if yes which version of
> > > fontconfig do we need at least to be compatible? I would prefer to
> > > update the fontconfig somehow instead of installing a custom fonts.conf
> > > file.
>
> > They are very different in 2.4.  There is no longer one config file.
> > Instead, they are loaded like rc.d scripts in an ordered fashion from
> > etc/fonts/conf.d.  That said, I see no reason why the linux-fontconfig

We can link to the dir too, no problem.

Thanks for the explanation.

> > port could not be updated to 2.4.2 as well.
>
> ...exept the reason that there is only fontconfig-2.2.3 for FC4?

We don't need to take the official FC one. We can try to find a 3rd
party one for FC4. I try to get time tomorrow to search one.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
BOFH excuse #17: