gnome-terminal 2.18 display problem

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Mar 23 17:44:19 UTC 2007

> From: Lars Hecking <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net>
> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:16:37 +0000 (GMT)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> Jeremy Messenger writes:
> [...]
> > >    Kevin> I am seeing the same issue. This is the second problem I
> > >    Kevin> have had with gnome-terminal in 2.18. (See prior messages
> > >    Kevin> today.) I have no idea whether they are related.
> > >
> > >Thanks.  At least the problem isn't with my build.
> > >
> > >Looks like the problem is with the vte widget, I see the same problem
> > >running vte.  I'm going to file a gnome bug.
> >
> > Yeah, you should file a bug report over at gnome bugzilla. When you run
> > gnome-terminal, does it reports about that TERM is set to xterm?
>
>  The problem is definitely vte. A portdowngrade to 0.14.2_1 fixes it,
>  and also the zoom problem (I didn't test zoom prior to downgrading).
>  In my case, yes, TERM=xterm.

The new vte port fixes the scrolling problem in vi and the refresh issue
with zoom, but it does not fix the window resize issue. The window stays
the same size, claims to hold the same number of rows and columns, but
actually holds less when zoomed and more when unzoomed as compared to
"normal" size.

Still, this one is a big improvement on the previous version and would
be huge if I didn't usually use xemacs instead of vi. I'll update my
bugzilla entry.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)