GDM thinks I am root

Kevin Downey redchin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:49:37 UTC 2007

I have a laptop running 6.2-STABLE and modular Xorg, I have been
having trouble logging in using gdm for sometime, but with the new
gnome I get a more informative error message (how is that for
progress). When I log in a little window pops up and says something
like "cannot write to /root/.ICEauthority" which makes sense, because
I am not logging in as root so I should not be able to write to that.
What I can't figure out is why it is trying. Gnome then fails to
start. If I pick the 'Xclients' session from GDM a little window pops
up that says 'no Xclients file, launching failsafe terminal' so I get
a xterm. In the xterm 'whoami' returns 'kpd' (my user) but 'echo
$HOME' is '/root'.
Any ideas?

--
The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.