gnome-terminal zoom broken in 2.18

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Mar 22 18:18:03 UTC 2007

> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:53:53 -0700
> From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> Since the upgrade to 2.18, zoom seems to be broken in gnome-terminal. In
> prior versions, a zoom (or unzoom) was fast and the window would resize
> to hold the same number of rows and columns as it had prior to the zoom.
>
> Now I see a LONG pause and then the window redraws with the new font,
> but the size is unchanged and the character spacing is messed up. If I
> try to manually resize it, it shows the initial size even though it is
> actually only displaying part of the area. During the long delay to
> redraw the screen, the CPU is not at all busy, so it must be blocking on
> something.
>
> I'm guessing this is a vte issue, but I am not sure.
>
> Anyone else see this? Any fix?

I have done a bit more looking at this and the problem looks like
communication between gnome-terminal and the window manager
(metacity). It looks like the window manager is never informed of the
change. If I do anything to force a window redraw, the characters
re-appear with no delay. The window still does not resize, though.

Clearly a pipe is busted somewhere.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)